Waterproof Picnic Blanket
A picnic is a perfect way to spend a sunny afternoon in the great outdoors. Keep dry and warm with this Waterproof Picnic Blanket.
WHAT YOU NEED:
1.8m Ripstop Fabric
1.8m Fleece Print
7m 5/8” Bias Binding
2.5m 1” webbing / belting
4 1” D rings
Maple Leaf Plaid Fleece in Stores now. Item# 3265015555
WHAT YOU DO:
1. Cut the selvedge from the ripstop and then cut into one 180cm x 145cm (72” x 58”) piece
2. Take the ripstop fabric and lay it on top of the fleece print, wrong sides together making sure both fabrics lie flat.
3. Pin the ripstop and the fleece print together around the edges.
4. Baste around the blanket approximately 1cm (1/2”) away from the edge.
5. Starting in the middle of one side of the blanket, take the bias binding, open it up and with the right side of the binding to the right side of the blanket line it up .5cm (1/4”) away from the edge of the fabric. Working on one blanket side at a time, pin in place and stitch along the first fold line. Fold the bias binding over to the fleece side, lay flat, pin and stitch along bias binding edge. Repeat this step on the other 3 sides. Once your binding meets the other side of the binding fold back .5cm (1/4”) to hide raw edge and finish stitching.
6. To make the harness for carrying the blanket, cut 2 pieces of the webbing 90cm (36”) long. Insert 1 piece of webbing into 2 D rings, fold back 1cm (1/2”) and then 3cm (1”), making sure D rings are at end, and stitch on edge of folded webbing. Repeat this on other strap. On the other end of the webbing either seal with fray block or stitch across the webbing a couple of times to prevent the webbing from fraying. Cut 1 piece of webbing approximately 45cm (18”) long (this piece will make your carry strap. Take your two long pieces of webbing with the D rings and lay them on a table approximately 20cm (8” approx). Approximately 20cm (8”) from the end of the D rings, place the carry strap across the webbing making sure the ends meet the webbing (do not go past). Stitch carry strap in place hiding the raw edge between the two layers of webbing.
Fold up your blanket and attach harness. You’re now ready to keep your blanket handy for use anytime, anywhere.